Coloring Outside the Lines with Mia
When Your Child Will Only Eat One or Two Things
One of the biggest fears I had as a parent wasn't about behavior.
It was food.
In the beginning, Mia ate only a handful of baby snacks and drank milk.
That was it.
Every meal became a balancing act.
On one hand, I was terrified she wasn't getting enough nutrition.
On the other, I was afraid that taking away the few foods she accepted would leave her with nothing at all. Even though I knew she needed to give up the bottles of milk or the baby snacks, how could I take away one of the handful of things she consumed.
If you've ever stood in your kitchen wondering how you're going to get your child to eat something new, I understand that feeling.
It can be exhausting.
I knew I couldn't force her.
So I started paying attention to why she rejected certain foods.
One thing I noticed was texture.
For example, Mia loved banana-flavored snacks.
She loved banana-flavored cereal.
But if I handed her an actual banana...
She wanted nothing to do with it.
That's when I realized she didn't necessarily dislike bananas.
She disliked the experience of eating one. It was squishy and messy and my Mia...She didn't like messy.
So instead of trying harder...
I tried differently.
One day I peeled the banana but left part of the peel attached like a natural handle.
Then I handed Mia a spoon and let her scoop little bites out herself.
To my surprise...
It worked.
That tiny success changed how I approached every new food.
I stopped asking,
"How do I make her eat this?"
Instead I asked,
"How can I make this feel less overwhelming?"
That led to yogurt.
Then pouches.
Rice.
Noodles.
Vegetables.
More fruit.
One of my favorite little tricks involved fruit and a large drinking straw.
I'd let Mia push the straw through soft fruit, creating tiny bite-sized pieces inside the straw.
She thought it was fun.
To her, it wasn't another unfamiliar food.
It was a game.
Little by little, those games became meals.
As she became more comfortable, we slowly changed the presentation.
Different utensils.
Different textures.
Different ways of holding the food.
Eventually, we didn't need the tricks anymore.
They had simply become stepping stones.
Looking back, I don't think the breakthrough was the banana.
The breakthrough was changing my mindset.
I stopped fighting against Mia's differences and started working with them.
That changed everything.
If you're reading this because your child only eats one or two foods, I want you to know there is hope.
Progress may not happen overnight.
It may take weeks.
It may take months.
It will almost certainly take patience.
And it may require creativity you never imagined using.
But every tiny step matters.
Sometimes success isn't taking a whole bite.
Sometimes it's touching the food.
Sometimes it's smelling it.
Sometimes it's poking it with a straw.
Sometimes it's simply allowing it to sit on the plate.
Those moments count.
Every child is different, and what worked for Mia may not work for every family. If feeding challenges are affecting your child's health or growth, it's important to work with your pediatrician or a qualified feeding specialist. But don't underestimate the value of making food feel safe, playful, and approachable.
Keep offering.
Keep encouraging.
Keep celebrating the smallest victories.
One day, you'll look back and realize those tiny victories were quietly becoming something much bigger.
💜 Mia's Lesson
Children don't always need us to push harder.
Sometimes they need us to think differently.
When we stop asking, "Why won't they?" and begin asking, "How can I meet them where they are?" we often discover possibilities we couldn't see before.
Sometimes the smallest bite is the beginning of the biggest breakthrough.
No comments:
Post a Comment