Sunday, July 5, 2026

 

Coloring Outside the Lines with Mia

Sometimes You Have to Color Outside the Lines

When people imagine parenting, bath time seems simple.

You fill the tub.
Wash their hair.
Read a bedtime story.
Tuck them in.

That wasn't our reality.

After we moved into a new home, Mia completely stopped taking baths.

Not for a few days.
Not for a week.

For months.

Bath time became one of the hardest parts of our day. We still had to keep her clean, so we did what we could. Sometimes I had to sponge bathe her. Other times my husband or one of my older children would help me get her close enough to running water or a sink so we could wash her as quickly as possible. She screamed through it. It was heartbreaking for everyone involved, but hygiene isn't optional.

What people don't always see is what happens after everyone else goes to bed.

I remember sitting alone at night crying, wondering, "How much longer can I do this?"

I was in my late thirties, filling an inflatable pool bucket by bucket, then emptying it the same way after every bath attempt. My back ached constantly. Every failed attempt felt heavier than the last. I knew I couldn't physically keep doing this forever, but I also knew that forcing Mia into a bathtub or shower, fighting through panic and trying to rinse her as quickly as possible, wasn't healthy either. Sponge baths were helping us survive the moment, but they weren't a long-term solution.

I felt stuck between two impossible choices.

After everyone had gone to bed, I searched for anything that might help.

I read other parents' stories.
I searched Reddit.
I looked at therapy recommendations.
I researched no-rinse shampoos.
I read article after article hoping someone had found an answer.

Eventually, I started seeing ideas that focused less on "making a child take a bath" and more on making bath time feel safe and fun.

Lights.
Music.
Bubbles.
Bath toys.

I tried recreating those ideas in our bathtub.

Nothing.

She would look at the tub, then immediately run away. The new bathtub was smaller than the one she'd been used to before we moved, and it simply wasn't a place where she felt comfortable anymore.

That's when I realized maybe I needed to stop thinking like an adult.

Instead of asking, "How do I get her into the bathtub?" I started asking, "Where would she actually want to play?"

So I bought a small inflatable unicorn pool.

I blew it up, filled it with warm water, bubbles, glowing bath toys, turned on music, and placed soft rugs around it to make the space feel inviting.

Then...

I waited.

The first few days she didn't get in.

She sat beside it.

She played with the toys.

Eventually she dipped her toes into the water.

I didn't rush her.

I sat nearby at whatever distance she was comfortable with. As the days passed, I slowly moved closer.

Soon she was sitting in the pool.

Then we could gently wash her arms.

Then her legs.

Eventually her hair.

Once the inflatable pool became a place she trusted, we took the next small step.

We bought a smaller inflatable insert that fit inside the bathtub.

Now the bathtub looked and felt familiar instead of frightening.

Little by little, she transitioned back into taking regular baths.

No magic trick.

No overnight breakthrough.

Just hundreds of tiny moments of patience.

That experience changed how I think about autism.

So much of traditional parenting advice sounds like this:

"Just take a bath."
"Just brush your teeth."
"Just go to bed."

But autism often doesn't work in "just."

It asks us to slow down.

To prepare.

To plan.

To be patient.

To become creative enough to meet our children where they are instead of expecting them to immediately meet us where we are.

Sometimes progress isn't measured in giant milestones.

Sometimes progress is sitting beside an inflatable unicorn pool.

Sometimes it's putting one foot in the water.

Sometimes it's simply staying in the same room without fear.

Those tiny victories eventually become the big ones.

That's why I named this blog Coloring Outside the Lines with Mia.

Because raising an autistic child has taught me that the best solutions don't always fit inside the lines of "normal."

Sometimes the most meaningful progress begins the moment we're willing to color outside of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Coloring Outside the Lines with Mia When Your Child Will Only Eat One or Two Things One of the biggest fears I had as a parent wasn't ...