Coloring Outside the Lines with Mia
Why I Wrote Books for My Daughter
Before Mia, I never imagined writing children's books.
I didn't grow up thinking I would become an author.
I became one because of one little girl.
As Mia grew, I found myself searching for books that reflected her world. I wanted stories she could connect with stories that included children who experienced life differently.
While there are wonderful books about autism, I noticed that many were written to explain autism to others. Those books have an important place, but I was searching for something different.
I wasn't looking for another book that explained my daughter.
I was looking for books that included her.
Children deserve to see themselves in the stories they read.
They deserve to feel like they belong in adventures, everyday moments, and happy endings.
Just because a child is nonverbal doesn't mean they don't notice the world around them.
Just because they communicate differently doesn't mean representation matters any less.
I wanted Mia to grow up knowing there was a place for children like her in books.
So I decided to write them.
One story became another.
Then another.
Each one was written with the hope that not only Mia, but other children like her, could open a book and feel included.
Representation isn't just about checking a box.
It's about belonging.
It's about making sure every child has the opportunity to see someone who looks like them, learns like them, communicates like them, or experiences the world like them.
Inclusion begins long before a classroom.
Sometimes it begins with a story.
Today, I'm proud to say those stories exist.
They're not perfect.
I'm still learning as both a writer and a mom.
But every page was written with love, hope, and one little girl in mind.
If another parent discovers these books and their child smiles because they finally see a character they relate to, then every late night spent writing was worth it.
If you'd like to explore our books or follow along with everything we're creating you can find it all here:
💜 Books, Resources & Projects:
https://linktr.ee/chinitacm86?utm_source=linktree_profile_share<sid=b9862b3f-9706-4092-a6bc-88818ee9567d
Thank you for being part of our journey.
I hope these stories remind every family that every child deserves to feel seen, valued, and included.
Because sometimes the greatest gift we can give a child isn't just a book.
It's the feeling that they belong inside its pages.
💜 Mia's Lesson
Every child deserves to find themselves in a story.
Representation isn't just for children who can tell us they notice it. It's for every child who deserves to know they belong.
Whether they communicate with words, gestures, a device, or simply a smile, every child deserves to feel seen, valued, and included.
Sometimes the most powerful thing we can say to a child isn't spoken at all.
Sometimes it's found in the pages of a book that quietly says,
"You belong here, too."
No comments:
Post a Comment